Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hello 30, goodbye 20's!

I cannot believe I am finally leaving my twenties! I am kinda sad to enter my thirties, I am officially getting older! Now maybe people will think I am a more mature mom than a young mom!  haha!  It sounds so weird to me to say I am 30, I remember when I turned 20 and thought I was so much more mature!  I was a mom at twenty and thought I was so grown up.  Now when I meet women, they are not even getting married that young anymore, and most wait till their late 20's to early 30's to have children.  That makes me think I was too inexperienced to be a mother at 20, yet I have no regrets and did just fine.  I think our society is wanting young adults to stay irresponsible longer and think they cannot make wise decisions once they become an "official" adult (meaning 18).  I remember reading a magazine article about "twixters".  Funny name, and you are probably saying "huh?".  Well according to this article, a twixter is a young adult who has graduated high school and have or are attending college or working at any form of job and still relying on their parents to take care of them.  No responsibility what so ever.  It's an alarming trend.  I know sometimes it may be hard to leave the comfort of your parents home, but it was the best thing I ever did. It made me grow up and learn how to budget, take care of myself and become more social.  Once I graduated, I wanted to attend college to become a teacher.  I started the semester off right, but soon realized it was not what I wanted to do.  In fact, I didn't even know what I really wanted to do.  I did know that I wanted to meet a wonderful young man and get married and have a family.  I saw nothing wrong with wanting that as my main goal, and I still don't.  There is nothing more wonderful than having a family! Just today I was thinking to myself, while trying to take a nap in my bed, that I LOVE this.  The kids tend to follow me no matter where I am. It can be very annoying at times but there are more times than not that it brings me so much comfort.  They like to lay in bed with me across my legs or against my back and do whatever it is they want to do (reading, watching tv, playing a game playing with a toy).  It is very cozy for me to be all squished together, except at night when I REALLY need some sleep! haha!  So I guess as I enter my 30's I have rally learned a lot more than I ever could have taking college classes.  I have learned about medical things, motherly things, house hold things, relationships, auto mechanics (believe it or not!)...So many that I cannot name off the top of my head.  Now I am not condoning college education, I think it is great.  And one day, i will most likely return to get a degree....and this time I DO know what I want to do, at least the field I want to go into, just not the exact position. But for now, I love this job.  It will not last much longer and I will have to make a decision for myself what I need to do, but until that time comes, I am going to continue to enjoy this position as much as I can. I always want to be there for my kids as much as I can. Even if they don't like it! hehehe!  Never underestimate your abilities.  Sometimes we end up doing things we never thought we had capacity to do. I am glad I chose the path I did, I love it and would never trade it for anything in the world.  I am glad I found the man of my dreams, albeit lacking in minor ways hahahaha, just kidding....I love you Andy, you are the best thing I could have ever embarked upon in my life!  I love learning alongside you and hope to continue to do so for eternity!  We are truly the best fit! I hope anyone reading this enjoyed it and find their hidden abilities and do not fear the unknown.  It can be the most wonderful lesson ever learned!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Happy Birthday Tonnia! What a great post! Well said!

Anonymous said...

Ha, you said 'embarked'. LOL you learn a lot in 10 years-but DANG, you had your first when you were 20? I was 23 when i had Trent and i thought that was young!! :) haha

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Hi there! I decided to come on over to your blog b/c I really liked your comment over at DeNae's blog. I completely agree with your take. Couldn't have articulated it better myself. Thanks! I'm a new follower! Oh, and the 30's are awesome!