Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Homeschooling and instability

I have been going back and forth on homeschooling my kids for years.  Parts of me want to do it and parts of me does not think I can do it.  I have researched many different ways to do it.  I think I would prefer doing it all on my own without the schools curriculum. I have plenty of resources so I know it is very possible.  I am nervous I will not be as good as I think I can.  I know by choosing that path, the kids can choose the areas they want to excel in and I do see what they like and would love to explore that with them help them advance in those ways.  On the other hand, I feel very unqualified.  I feel like I should be at a different place in my life.  I feel like I am adding more instability to their lives by trying this now.  They have been in a lot of different schools because we have moved so much. I feel like I am depriving them of a stable life in those ways.  I feel like because we are not settled that I am just a train wreck waiting to happen.  I stayed in the same house and schools my whole life so I have no idea what impact my choices are making on my children.  Am I adding more stress to their lives as a result of all the moving and different schools?  With their current school shutting down, it adds another minus.  Sure they may stay with most of their friends into the new school that is designated, but the idea of moving to another school AGAIN.  I feel like such a failure at times.  How come I cannot give my children the stability that they need?  We do have a stable family life and a good relationship with one another, but is that enough to keep them from becoming social misfits?  Is it enough to keep them obtaining stability in their own lives? self esteem?  I guess only time will tell what I have truly done to ruin my children's lives.  I have a tough time thinking I am doing anything good for them.  I do not know what "normal" should be.  All I know is that everyone around me makes me feel this way. We do not have a "normal" family life I suppose.  Will we  ever?

7 comments:

Christina said...

Yes, but what is "normal"? Is it socially fitting in with what people think you should do? I think if they have a safe and loving home life, they are probably going to be just fine. Think about it, children who have a messed up home life, even with a stable school environment, how well do they do? You worry too much, Tonnia. There. I said it. You can do it!

Christina said...

Oh yes, one more thing, Heavenly Father knew your life would be like this, moving and such. Do you think that means there's hope for stability? I don't think so! Your kids will be fine as long as they are loved and shown love! Ok, I am going to have to call you now.

Christina said...

Excuse me, I typed that wrong, I meant No Hope for stabilitly.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, you may be one of the better "normal" families I know of.

Watson momma said...

you make a good point, i never thought of it that way. guess there is some hope! ahahaha

HaileeLynn said...

My mom would be more than happy to give you advice about homeschooling since she homeschooled all of us. And if I do say so myself, we came out all right. LOL

Kathy said...

We moved alot and I think it made us closer as a family. You are a good mom. I worry alot about the decisions that I make as a parent as well. Sometimes the weight of being in charge is very heavy. It is scary but we can do it!