Monday, May 24, 2010
Can I vent?
Why does being a mother feel so thankless? I feel I cannot even bear my own true testimony of motherhood in real life without women looking down at me as if I were being judgemental. So I chose to have children right away, does that make me better? worse? no! It is what my husband and I both chose because we felt it was right. I do not know other people's situations or choices, but this was mine. I do not care when or how you have children, but must it come across so terrible because of the choice I made? Just because I do not own a home or a new car (or two for that matter) or fancy clothes, furniture, etc. does not mean becoming a mother at 21, and choosing to stay at home so I can raise them does not mean I made the wrong or dumb decision. Why must people care so much about what people live in or what they drive? Why must they care how much money we have or where we shop? I remember going to a mall not very long ago and there was an enormous line up at a new store called "COACH" If you don't know what that is, google it. It bugs me to think that many people think it is soooo important to have a $300 bag for a few months before they toss it out with the trash. I hate that I feel I am being slowly forced to work outside my home just to support my small family. I am not against earning my keep, but my poor children must suffer because of it. I honestly hope to move to a less expensive city someday so that I can make our hard earned money stretch farther. I would like a quieter life. I do not like large cities anymore. I think the novelty has worn off. I know I am supposed to be here, but I do hope someday we are led somewhere else.....far far away. I like to see new places and experience new things. I am not meant to be still.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Is this BC or in real life? I don't care anymore what people think, I'm happy and that's all that matters. I actually get a kick out of the comments that people say to me! Find the humor in everything. Why haven't I talked to you this week anyways?
Oh Tonnia, your children won't suffer if you have to work outside the home. I have had to work the majority of my kids lives and I think the kids and I have benefitted from it tremendously!
Amen. Vent any time you want.
i am not saying your child will be damaged goods if you work outside the home. but i truly think they benefit more if you do stay home. besides that, i like being able to be there for everything. i just want to teach them where their priorities should be. earning a living is great, but if you can swing it for a while, it is definitely worth it.
Maybe your kids but not mine. Trent learned more at daycare/preschool than i would have ever been able to teach him. It's ok, i used to think the same way Tonnia! hahaha :)
So I'm coming in on this way late, but I agree. It is frustrating to have people get in your business and question your family's decision- if it's not abusive or neglectful, people really need to just mind their own business. I haven't had to deal with quite the same thing as you since we don't have kids yet, but with our particlar situation and future plans about the family we hope to have, we get plenty of comments and busy bodies that want to make it their business and feel the need to give advice when I haven't asked for it. But like Christina said, sometimes you just have to laugh, and not let it bother you. But, sometimes that's easier said than done :)
Post a Comment