Sunday, December 11, 2011
Estrogen overload
So not only does the female count in our home outnumber the males, even in the fish aquariums do the females outweigh the males. So our fish have had several babies since we have had them. Some have lived and moved to new homes, some have died, disappeared and been eaten. Now our ghost shrimp is carrying eggs! I had no clue she was even female, then last night Dallas and I noticed tiny little balls in her swimmerets. This morning they were bright green...BINGO we have babies on the way! Ghost shrimp carry their eggs under their belly on their swimmerets until they hatch, in about 30 days. So I am assuming she was pregnant when we got her since she is the only one we have. We moved her to a new tank so when the babies hatch, they have a chance to survive. It may happen when we are gone so we will see if any survive. It can take 2 weeks for the babies to fully develop and swim so they are extremely vulnerable. I hope we get to see some teeny tiny baby ghost shrimp after Christmas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment