Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My sounding board

I often use this blog as a sounding board because I get frustrated with things in life. I don't always write everything on here because some things are of a personal nature. Today I received a phone call that just rubbed me the wrong way. I know I should not be offended but I feel hurt anyways. We have struggled in our ward. We have struggled to fit in, feel accepted, etc. Our calling has been real tough. Well I have been trying to make an honest effort to let it all go, but today a phone call just set me back...for a little. I always feel I have to prove that I am a good mom. No, I am not always good at it, but I am sure trying! I am the only who truly understands my children and I am doing my darndest to teach them and love them. I feel I am in a constant battle with someone to prove this. Maybe this stems from my childhood and never feeling I was good enough? Most likely. I should not and DO NOT need to prove anything to anyone. I know what I am doing. I know I am doing what is right. I teach my children the best I can. I know I will never be the perfect parent, and I don't want to be. I know my children will grow up and find something wrong or something they didn't like about the way I parented. That is ok! That is normal! So why can't I convince myself of this? Why can't I let other people's comments and remarks go? There are times I can but there are times when it pierces you deep in your heart. One of those times is today. :(. It is human nature to want to be accepted. No one wants to feel like an outcast. No one wants to feel second best. I don't care how other people choose to live their lives, but please do not tell me that mine is wrong because it is not like yours. I am doing what works for me and my family. No two people are alike, and neither is two families. Every family has different challenges in life. If you choose to judge me by choices my child makes, then go ahead. I cannot control them. I can ONLY teach! If they choose not to follow, they will be punished. But please don't judge me because my child is not like yours. While you may live in what you consider a perfect realm, I do not. I have problems. My spouse has problems. My children each have their own individual problems. Life is not easy and I urge you to take a second look at your before judging mine. As easy as you can pick mine apart, I can pick yours, I just choose not to.

2 comments:

Laurel Baker said...

Oh my sweet friend...I TOTALLY understand how you feel! I am very sensitive when it comes to my kids...well, I guess I am just sensitive in general. (If that is the right word to use) I get bothered by things sometimes more than other people would be bothered by them. For example...while we were at Ryan's school performance not too long ago, we were sitting right next to the camera guy. NOT A GOOD IDEA to begin with! Midway through the preformance, Tyler was bored and started kicking the legs on the camera stand. I had no idea, and if I did, I would have stopped him. Well...all of a sudden the camera guys yells at Tyler, "STOP IT!" Pretty loudly! Tyler felt horrible...started crying in fact. Oh...I was SOOOOO MAD! I could not believe he yelled at my son! I did not say anything back to the man...just switched places with Tyler and put my arm around him, but inside I was furious! I kept thinking...why wouldn't he just politely ask me to tell my son to please stop kicking his stand. That is what any NORMAL person would do, right?! ANYWAYS...my point is...it bothered me for DAYS! Tyler I am sure was over it after a few minutes...Brandon could care less...but me...I couldn't let it go! I don't know if sharing this makes you feel any better...but it felt good getting it off my chest to someone!! :) You are a WONDERFUL mother Tonnia!! Don't worry about what others may say to you! Unless it is Andrew of course! :)

Watson momma said...

Oh laurel I would have felt the same way!!! Thanks for those kind words! I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Of course lots of moms do, but it doesn't feel that way some times!