...life is a funny thing. Sometimes the choices we make help others and sometimes they hurt. Sometimes, they do a little bit of both. When someone is placed in an uncomfortable position without choice, what is one to do? Comply? Step out? Let's face it, there is no good answer. There is a right answer and a wrong one, but no good ones. Sometimes standing up and doing the right thing hurts. Even when trying to find answers, people can still be cruel and turn against you. I am accountable for my actions. I know I make mistakes and will own them. I am not going to dump it on anyone. How can society become better if we all stand around and wait for someone else to do it? Think about Enron....if someone had stood up in the very beginning of their scheme, thousands of people would have not been hurt. What about politicians? How many times has someone blown the whistle on them so the public can know of their corrupt dealings? If nobody says anything, more people get hurt. Why should this be any different in smaller corporations? In families? In friends? In schools? I work with children everyday, and if something looks suspicious about their behavior or appearance, it has to be reported. How would you feel if a child was being abused and you stood by and did nothing? How would you answer to God? If you have information that someone is doing something harmful, wouldn't you want to help that person by doing something? Sure it may not look like help, but in the long run, many lives are spared of unnecessary anguish and pain. I know I have hurt people in my life. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally. However, I am not going to stand before God someday and feel the guilt for not helping someone. I will not be held accountable for withholding information that is potentially damaging to society. I want to live in a world of honesty. I don't understand why simple honesty is so difficult. Sure, we can take an extra dollar here or cut a corner there. Who suffers in the end? Do you care who is affected? Do you KNOW who is affected? Would it make a difference if it was your brother? Sister? Mother or father? I am reminded of those signs pasted all over public bathrooms...."We all PAY when someone shoplifts."
Don't ever think you are immune, because you are hurting someone, somewhere. It takes ONE person to make all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment