Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Coming on 12 years

I can't believe it has been almost 12 years since Andrew and I tied the knot. (May 10th). I am up extremely late but I got caught up in reading my old posts. Sometimes I love to reminisce and remember the feelings I had and other experiences I have forgotten. Two years ago, I started a blog post that talked about how Andy and I met. I was supposed to finish the story but never did. Well here goes....so after that "magical" weekend (haha) I made it back to Idaho through much more revolting weather, this time fog. The first thing I did was run to the computer, naturally, to see if Andrew was online. Back then we used ICQ and AOL IM. Ahh, the good ol' days. So anyways we chatted a bit when I got home and talked about how much fun we had. I think we talked every single day on ICQ. I always loved turning on the computer when I woke up each morning or when I returned home from work to see if he had left a message. Oh how I loved the "uh-oh"! Haha! Those of you who remember ICQ will know exactly what I'm talking about. Andrew and his family were planning a trip to Idaho to see his brother play basketball for the U of I in February. It was family day weekend for you Canadians, and MLK Jr. day for us Americans. That was actually when we were first supposed to meet, but I got anxious. So I don't think I slept a wink the night before he was to arrive. I told him to call me when they left, which was like 5am! I had no work that day and I absolutely hate waiting so I tried to keep myself busy. I went to the mall because they were having a bridal show. Not that I was that interested but it was something to keep my mind from going crazy! I didn't know when to expect him so I took my time shopping and what not. When I got home, around noon time I checked the caller ID and Andrew had called at least 100 dozen times! Poor guy probably thought I was ditching out on him. I was soooooo excited! I didn't expect to see him so soon. Between the first time we met and this meeting, I was feeling a bit doubtful I have to admit. I was afraid that I let my hormones get the best of me and he was uglier than I remembered and not really what I wanted. I did want to make sure though so of course I was going to see him to confirm any feelings or doubts I was having. So I drove over to his brothers apartment where they were staying, which only took, like a minute. Moscow is really small! Literally a college town. I was so nervous and excited all at the same time but when Andrew opened that door I was relieved that he was just as cute as he was the last time I saw him! Phew! So I was not crazy and I still liked what I saw! Haha! I am sure we gave each other a big hug and kissed but I can't remember exactly. Plus, his family was there and I am not a PDA kind of girl....well not intentionally. I am sure some friends and family AT THAT TIME would disagree. So the day was kind of a blur. I can't remember that much of the exact order of events. I know we went to the basket ball game (didn't pay attention), went to the mall, showed him where I worked, went to the park...I think?  I am sure there was some making out going on in between it all but I don't need to divulge every little detail do I? haha! He came over to my house, which was really my brother and his wife's house. I lived with them from October 1999 to May 2000. We ate dinner there, cuddled on the couch, watched TV I am sure, showed him my makeshift room! Haha. It wasn't glamorous. And I was a good girl, we did not hang out in there long enough to get in trouble! Andrew spent the night in the living room, and I in my room, again, we followed the rules! We were determined to. So I remember waking him up the next morning for church and that is when I got my first taste of his bizarre sleep behavior. He was acting so out of it, but I brushed it aside and didn't think much of it. Boy would I have a huge wake up call when we got married! So we went to church, went back to his brothers apartment, had dinner, drove around, went to the park to chill out but to also be alone and get to know each other (ie make out, we were pathetic!). Both his brothers place and mine were not very big and with that many people, it was hard to do anything. And since our relationship was so new there was still so much I wanted to learn about him. Maybe it doesn't make any sense but it did to me at the time. When night came I drove him back so he could get to sleep but I was so sad. The weekend had just begun and our time was already over. I went inside with him and since everyone was sleeping we went on the balcony and chatted a little before I left. I don't recall the time but I know it was late. I had to go to work the next morning and they were leaving. So we said our goodbyes and off I went. The next morning I went to work feeling a bit bummed but also happy that I got to see him. I think my coworkers were starting to wonder if he really existed. I had talked about him, but I easily could have made him up. Sure, another country, a fake ring, I could have pulled it off....if I was a whacko! So I was doing my thing, I worked at Emporium (now out of business), and I remember organizing clothes. I worked in the Men's department. Oh how I loved that department. Before I met Andy I would help other clueless guys find pant sizes and other things. I loved it. It was a great way to interact with cute guys! Later on I was sent back to the Domestics department and I loathed it. It was soooo slow and boring. The only thing exciting was talking to an 80 year old woman named Zelda in lingerie! Imagine that! She was fun, nonetheless. She even wrote me a letter after I got married, but because of my small world I lived in, I never wrote her back. :( I am sure she has passed by now. But back to the story...so I was arranging clothing and what to my surprise Andrew shows up! Oh I was sooooo thrilled! I tried to stay professional since I was at work but my heart was thumping! I was so glad he came by to say one last goodbye! If I had known his family any better, which I do now, I should have know they would do some last minute shopping right before they left to go home! It made my day. So, now that you have read encounter #2, maybe by next anniversary I will recount our 3rd meeting....if I can even remember it?? I certainly remember our 4th and final! Oh was that ever dramatic! Haha! Good night!

Us, circa 2003


Such a handsome daddy!

Typical...If you know Andrew, he does NOT like to share so you can tell he is clearly annoyed by Brianne wanting some.  She did this ALL the time when she was younger!
I had to add this for fun because it is so funny.  Dallas looks like a Jewish Rabbi chanting a prayer.

SO CUTE!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Loved it! I like reading about the past too! I wish I had written in my journal more. What's even better is when we know we weren't perfect, but we just accept it as part of our growing process. ( I made tons of dumb choices! So glad I am more mature. Hahahahahahahahaha maybe?)